Friday, February 18, 2011

Parenthood


"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
  ~ Rita Rudner

B and I became first-time parents on June 5, 2010. No, you won't see us featured on an episode of I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. It was actually a lot less complicated than that. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "It's a Saturday and we have nothing to do today, B."
B: "Yup."
Me: (referring to a previous conversation) "I know we don't actually want to get a dog until I move back to KC, but, you know, we could still go look at puppies today..."

And the rest is history.

Upon entering the door at Pet Land, I spotted the adorable little white-and-grey splotched furball who would soon become known as Delilah. 

Here's our little punkin' pie the first week we had her.
Unfortunately, it wasn't all smooth sailing with our baby. One week after adopting her, B and I woke up to a extremely sick puppy. After rushing her to the vet's office (a scary car ride during which she was unresponsive), we found out she was hypoglycemic (apparently very common in small dogs). I guess there's not much room for error when you're 1.3 pounds. A weekend on an IV and $1600 later, she was a healthy, excitable, energetic pup again--with an interesting haircut.


Delilah, her grandpa, and her phenomenal haircut
Delilah now weighs in at a whopping 5.5 pounds (and we believe she's full-grown!), and has a healthy appetite (especially when it comes to Goldfish crackers!).

For more on Baby D, check out her page.





No comments:

Post a Comment