Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Time Management

Remember this post where I bragged about how fab our DIY centerpieces were going to be for the reception, and how much money we were going to save by ordering the flowers from Sam's, using vases we already owned, and...?

Yeah, scratch that.

I am an expert at getting everything that needs to be done completed. I really am. I never missed an assignment in school, I get my workouts in every day, I work multiple jobs. This is a really fantastic quality of mine... usually.

It becomes problematic when I take on too many responsibilities. Because I'm so fabulous at managing my time, I have a hard time saying "no" to things (specifically when it's a job or money-making possibility), and I have a hard time delegating tasks. If I can find any possible way to fit something into my schedule, I'll do it. Often this means giving up time with my fiancé, with my family, or with my friends.

I know exactly where this problem stems from. My mom is the exact same way. She is so incredibly involved with everything in her life--I honestly don't know how she does it. She heads about four groups at church, is involved in about four more, works part-time for a PR firm, writes mystery novels, and still finds time to make hospital visits, cookies, meals, and even baby blankets for anyone who needs one.

A couple of weeks ago, when we were going over scheduling and details of the wedding day, Mom and I both stopped suddenly and looked at each other. We were both thinking the same thing. We're doing it again

We both realized that slicing oranges, defrosting flowers, arranging bouquets, tying ribbons, making paper cones and more is not what we want to remember about the weekend. We'd rather concentrate on the 250+ friends and family that will be gathered together for the first time in years. We want to visit, and talk, and laugh. We want to have our nails done, our hair, and our make-up, while drinking mimosas and chatting with the other ladies getting ready the morning of the wedding. Suddenly, the price our florist had quoted for the 25 centerpieces and the aisle decorations was not looking so shabby... and our home-made centerpiece idea was.
The nix-ed idea
So, sorry Martha. It's not that your sliced citrus in vases was not a lovely summery idea--it was--our time is more precious. We'll be going with The Flower Girl.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I checked out The Flower Girl's website, and now I'm pretty sure I want to be a florist. :-)

    ReplyDelete