Sunday, April 24, 2011

When It Rains...

My previous post's title would be an apt name for life this past week. You know how they say "When it rains, it pours"? Well...

I started off a little down last Friday when a teaching position I'd had my eye on for next year was filled--by someone other than myself. I spent the weekend reviewing the several applications I currently have in to school districts and applying with a few more. Although I'm trying not to let the negativity of the economy and the current budget situation get me down, seeing district after district holding up their "We're Not Hiring" signs is a little hard to ignore.

Then, Monday morning, I heard from the service shop where I'd taken Sally, my 1997 Saturn, over the weekend for an oil change. I'd also asked them to take a quick listen to the new whirring noise I'd been noticing on the highway. Well, the mystery noise turned out to the be worst mystery noise possible--the transmission. It was time to look for a new car.

I've driven Sally since my 16th birthday. And my mom drove Sally before I did. She's been in our family for a long time.
I'm going to miss my tropical seat covers (covering the small tear in the seat cushion).
My reminder to myself that smiling makes everything seem better.
The sticker on Sally's ceiling is reminiscent of the first day my best friend, Kelly, came over in third grade. It was a remnant of the class Valentine's party we'd had that day.
Then, Monday night, over in the STL, my grandpa was taken to the hospital in the middle of the night. Although we've now learned that the problems he was having were caused by a poorly-reacting medication, I was pretty shaken up when I talked to him the next day. It's hard to watch someone you care about getting older.


Keep in mind that all of this was happening six weeks before the wedding, and one week before our big move. My cell phone and email were busy between all the car dealers, insurance agents, florists, chefs, Dairy Queen managers, banquet coordinators, musicians, grandfathers, and... sadly... no school districts. I was crunching numbers constantly, trying to figure out how we were possibly going to afford a car payment on top of our double rent (until July), honeymoon, etc. (The fact that I don't have a job lined up for fall made that especially painful.) 

Monday night I literally slept for less than two hours; by Tuesday afternoon, I had literally worried myself sick with a 100-degree fever.


However, as luck would have it, a couple from church just happened to mention to a mutual friend that they were looking to sell their 2006 Kia Sportage--which just so happened to be #2 on the list of cars I was interested in. After a phone call and a quick visit the next day, I agreed to buy the car (and they agreed to sell it to me) for a very reasonable price. Phew! Crisis averted.

My first ever new-to-me car.
Naming cars is a pretty important job. I haven't come up with the perfect name for her yet (yes, she's clearly a female).
The previous owners are big KU fans. Still unsure about the stickers--we're not NOT KU fans, we're just... not KU fans. We'll see if they make the cut.
Thursday, my grandpa was released from the hospital. He still has some physical therapy to go through, and it doesn't sound as though his problems are 100% resolved, but the situation is not as dire as it was earlier in the week. Again, some relief there.

I would love to end this post by telling you that Problem #3 was solved and I was offered a fantastic teaching position for the fall... but that didn't happen. Oh, well. At this point, I feel as though I've done as much as I can do. I'm contacting my contacts, brushing up my applications, and just plain trying to be the best ol' kindergarten grade level aide possible. The only thing left to do is to adopt a more positive attitude. So, now, I'm just reminding myself to "Smile!"

P.S. Remember what day tomorrow is??? April 25! Move-In Day!


The Kia's all packed up with our first load of stuff.
It's really incredible how much this car can hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment