Friday, March 4, 2011

Generation Millennial

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.  You have to catch it yourself. 
~Benjamin Franklin

I've fallen into a slump.


I know, I know. My last three or four posts detail how everything is going so great lately. And everything is going so great lately! So why can't I just accept it and be happy?

My mom attended a business conference yesterday for public relations. She informed me when she got home that I am part of the "millennial" generation. Apparently, they'd spent much of the day talking about how to appeal to this generation. I think I could have taught them a thing or two. As a member of the millennial generation, I am never quite satisfied: 
  • I got the 3G iPod Touch for my birthday. Great! But what I'd really like is a 4G iPhone because it's such a pain to carry my phone and my iPod. 
  • My closet holds enough clothes to dress a small army. Or even a large army. But, somehow, I never own the right pair of pants for an outfit, and I have a running list of items I "need."
  • I have a car. It's been running for 13 years. I don't have to make any payments on it, it has all its windows (no duck tape/plastic wrap for me!), and absolutely nothing on it or in it is chipped or broken. Yet, I long for the day when a repair is just too much, and I can trade it in (for about 5 cents) and purchase something different.


Spending money feels good, and there are always changes to be made and needs to be met. This doesn't only apply to my wallet and my material things.

This week I've been looking forward to the future. A lot. And I don't just mean because I have a big wedding and a honeymoon coming up, and I'm excited. I'm talking about that chronic feeling of dissatisfaction.
  • Yes, I have a job. And it's at a school. And it pays like a teacher. But I don't have my own classroom. I'll be happy when I have my own classroom.
  • Yes, I have a fantastic fiance. And he loves me. And I love him. And I love that I get to see him every day. But I only get to see him for about one hour every day. I'll be happy when I can see him for longer.
  • Yes, we have an awesome apartment in our very near future. But April 25 is not here yet. I'll be happy on April 25.
This isn't a new thing for me. Freshman year of college I needed  a car up at Truman. Then sophomore year I had to move off campus. I moved off campus and then I just couldn't stand that other couples were getting engaged. When that happened, it was miserable not to see B every day. I just knew that when I moved back to KC I'd finally by happy.


In the name of science, I've observed evidence of this theory in many other subjects (i.e. people my age). My friends that have been accepted to wonderful graduate programs, but will not truly find happiness until they've paid off all their student loans. Generation Millennials that have gotten married, have beautiful children, but know they won't be truly satisfied until their money troubles are in control. And those with a fantastic job, a cozy apartment, a wide network of friends, but who can't accept it as life without a relationship. 


Recently my prayers have been to live in the moment and appreciate the many, many blessings God has thrown my way. I am working to enjoy these last six weeks in my parents' house, to cherish the little time I spend with B every day, and to learn from the four teachers I'm job-sharing with, to appreciate the experience and wisdom they have to offer before I am thrown into my own classroom.


What do you think--is it a generational thing, or am I just greedy?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'm technically in your generation, but I do the same thing with my house. Every time I finish fixing up one thing, I already have plans for fixing up the next thing. It drives Cory crazy.

    ReplyDelete