Monday, March 7, 2011

A Peek at What's to Come

 "Decorate your home. It gives the illusion that your life is more interesting than it really is."
~ Charles M. Schulz

Recently, as I dreamt about the rooms of our new apartment, I began to worry that we had never really pinned down a specific decor style. Now, I'm not really one to have a "themed" space, or to stick to just one color, or to choose something so in mode that we'll have to redecorate within the month. But I do realize the importance of tying things together just enough that the space feels connected. As I reviewed our online registries (which are, by the way, extremely addicting), I started to wonder if our choices were going to feel more disjointed than eclectic. So, I decided to take a hint from one of my fave daily reads and create a mood board for each of our rooms.

What is a mood board, you may ask? Well, a month ago, before I started reading up on home decorating blogs, I would have asked the same thing. A mood board is simply a collection of images (usually created in Photoshop or the like) that portray the mood of a space. If you've never seen a mood board before, please click here or here and look at a few created by more-experienced decorators. In other words, please don't let my amateur try below steal your mood board virginity.

Here's my first try at a mood board. (Please don't laugh.) I have mentioned that my graduate degree is in education, right? And certainly not home ec.

Living Room Mood Board




I pulled this together using photos of items we've registered for and ones we already own. The background color is an approximate version of what I'd like to paint that room--through it will probably be a shade or two lighter (I'm really not all the adventurous.) Some of the objects are just similar to what we own. But, all in all, it gives a pretty good idea of the feel of our future living room.

What do you think? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment